Today we’re making this garlic cheese dip – full of five cheeses from sharp and tangy to smooth and creamy. This melty gooey dip is the perfect dip for game days and holiday parties.
If melted cheese isn’t one of the most mouth-watering, ooey-gooey, sinful foods worth every calorie, I don’t know what is! My fiance and I went to Olive Garden recently and got the “Dip Duo” and we got so stuffed on cheese that we both took our entrees to-go. He begged me to make him a homemade version of the Five Cheese Italian Fonduta on Sunday when he watches football (it was way better than the spinach artichoke dip).
I am not 100% sure of every cheese they use in this garlic cheese dip but I was certain I could taste mozzarella, Parmesan and provolone. Regardless, the version I made at home you are going to freaking love! It blows their version out of the water.
Mainly because the cheeses you can buy at your supermarket are just higher quality than most chain restaurants trying to cut costs, etc. I use FRESH mozzarella and another key is to not buy any grated cheese that comes in the bag. You can but it just doesn’t have the same melt-ability and potency that freshly grated cheese off the block provides.
Next, you have to buy fresh baguette bread from your bakery and broil it with melted butter , olive oil and freshly minced garlic. Magnifico! It will be perfectly crunchy and chewy – just the right texture to dip into your stretchy cheese.
Key Ingredients in this Garlic Cheese Dip
Cream Cheese – softened of course for easily mixability
Mozzarella – fresh mozzarella is best for flavor and texture
Provolone – adds sharpness. You can find blocks of this deli/artisan cheese section at your local supermarket
Fontina – the gooeiest cheese that adds lots of stretch (also available in the deli/artisan cheese section)
Seasonings – red pepper flakes, freshly ground pepper. No salt is needed as the cheese contains so much already.
Garlic – freshly minced garlic
Tomatoes – diced roma tomatoes have the best flavor are added after baking.
This garlic cheese dip is a wonderful appetizer for an Italian dinner night at home, for a game day gathering (could be made in a crockpot as well) or on a cold winter night when you are cozy in the house! Or, on any day of the week during any season when you are in the mood for cheese 🙂
How to Make Garlic Cheese Dip
Step 1: Combine softened cream cheese with the fresh garlic and seasonings. Mix together with all of the cheeses. Press into a greased baking dish.
Step 2: Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown. Remove from the oven and add diced tomatoes to the center of the dip. Spread butter, olive oil and garlic mixture to baguettes.
Step 3: Turn oven to broil (500 degrees) and toast baguettes until golden brown. Add the cheese mixture back into the oven and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the top is bubbly and partially browned.
Looking for More Appetizers & Dip?
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for my garlic cheese dip. Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback!
If you make these or any other recipes, don’t forget to tag me on IG @BadBatchBaking to be featured on my story. Seeing your recreations makes my day!
Olive Garden's Five Cheese Fonduta
- 8 oz block Philadelphia cream cheese softened
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella grated or chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 4 oz provolone freshly grated
- 4 oz fontina freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to your heat preference
- freshly ground pepper I don't add salt as cheese contains enough sodium
- 1 Roma tomato, diced excess moisture removed on paper towel
- 1 loaf french baguette
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a glass Pyrex dish (I use a pie dish) with a little butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with all other cheeses. Mix well to combine thoroughly until smooth. Add the pepper flakes and freshly ground pepper and combine.
- Place the mixture into the greased dish and level the mixture with spatula. Place it in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. While the cheese is cooking, slice the baguette and lay on a baking sheet. Add 1/4 cup of butter and garlic in a small bowl. Microwave together for 20 seconds or until butter is melted. Brush garlic butter onto each slice of baguette.
- Turn the oven on broil, add diced tomatoes into center of cheese mix and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or so, until the top is bubbly and browned.Broil baguettes for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pan half way through.