This baked chicken alfredo is made with mini lasagna sheets tossed with rotisserie chicken in a creamy, stringy white cheese sauce. An easy casserole version of the comfort classic, this baked alfredo is easy to prepare and it’s the perfect comfort food to feed a crowd.
A fusion of mac and cheese and chicken alfredo, this creamy dish has three types of white cheeses then loaded with shredded chicken and all tossed together with your favorite pasta.
One of my favorite things about this baked chicken alfredo is that it’s the easiest way to make a big batch of fettucini alfredo. If you’re looking to feed the whole family or wanting make-ahead dinner for the week, just dump this easy pasta is a casserole dish, bake for 20 minutes and dinner is ready.
There is many recipes for alfredo, but this is my take which is a bit unusual in that it uses fresh mozzarella as the primary cheese. It adds such a unique texture and creamy flavor that is unmatched!
This recipe post is all about Baked Chicken Alfredo, addictively delicious comforting casserole to feed a crowd.
What is Baked Chicken Alfredo?
Baked chicken alfredo is a fusion of a baked macaroni and cheese and chicken alfredo. The hearty pasta gets tossed with luscious Alfredo sauce then chicken gets tossed in with the noodles. It’s baked in a butter-lathered casserole dish until it’s browned and bubbly. It’s so easy to customize to your liking, you can add broccoli or other veggies, different proteins, etc.
Key Ingredients in this baked Chicken Alfredo:
Pasta – short or long noodles work. I use Toccole which you can find online or at Italian markets, they are mini-lasagne noodles.
Chicken – rotisserie chicken, roasted or baked diced chicken.
Cheeses – fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, provolone, parmesan
Heavy Cream – the key to the creamiest comfy alfredo
Evaporated Milk – a rich and creamy, slightly sweet milk that is a great alternate to using ALL heavy cream.
Butter – 1/2 stick of butter is used to heavily grease the casserole dish
Types of Pasta To Use:
My favorite pasta for this recipe is Taccole, which is a flat square pasta, like a mini version of lasagna sheets. These can be hard to find at grocery stores but you can find them online or at Italian specialty markets. There are plenty of alternate options that work as well.
Short Pasta Options: penne, rigatoni, radiatori, or even large elbows.
Long Pasta Options: fettucini, buccatini, linguini (similar to my Chicken Tetrazzini)
How to Make Baked Chicken Alfredo:
With just a few easy steps you can have this on your table tonight1
Step 1: Start by making a rue with butter and flour. Add evaporated milk, milk, heavy cream, seasonings, fresh garlic and whisk together until smooth. Allow it to come to a low boil and thicken, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add all of the cheeses, stirring until they melt. Cook noodles to al dente and the cheese melts. Add chicken and cooked noodles and toss until it’s coated through and chicken and noodles are fully incorporated in the cheese sauce.
Step 3: Butter a casserole dish, then pour the pasta into the dish and smooth out so it’s evenly spread into the casserole dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden browned and bubbly.
Tools I Use:
Check Out These Pasta Recipes?
I hope you enjoy this baked chicken alfredo recipe. Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback! If you make these or any other recipes, don’t forget to tag me on IG @BadBatchBaking to be featured on my story. Seeing your recreations makes my day!
Baked Chicken Alfredo
- 1/2 stick Butter, softened for greasing dish
- 1 pound pasta such as Taccole, alternate suggestions listed in my post
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 cups fontina, shredded
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella (block style), shredded
- 3/4 cup parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to create a paste (making a roux). Allow it to cook for one minute then whisk in evaporated milk, heavy cream, seasonings, fresh garlic and whisk together until smooth. Allow it to come to a low boil and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the cheeses, stirring until they melt. Cook noodles to al dente according to the package instructions. Add chicken and cooked noodles to the pan of cheesy alfredo sauce and toss until incorporated in the cheese sauce.
- Liberally butter a casserole dish, then pour in the pasta, evenly spreading it into the casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden browned and bubbly (check it at 15 minutes). Add chopped parsley and serve!