This recipe post is all about how to make cajun firecracker salmon. This delicious salmon is best enjoyed over rice and can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes. The salmon is tender, juicy, with a nice crisp on top from broiling it at the end of the cook. Then this addictively creamy, tangy and spicy sauce is drizzled on top to truly takes this meal to the next level.
Coined one of the best dishes I’ve ever made (according to my husband), this firecracker salmon is a dish that is incredible enough to serve to company, but easy enough to whip together on a busy weekday.
The sauce is truly the star of the dish, combining mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha (a little at a time). You’ll absolutely adore this sauce
You can also easily make this salmon in an air fryer! This alterative cooking method is listed below in the recipe details.
This post is all about how to make the easiest, mind-blowingly delicious Cajun Firecracker Salmon!
What is Firecracker Salmon:
There are several different versions of firecracker salmon, this salmon recipe uses a homemade Cajun seasoning to well coat the thick and juicy salmon fillets. I prefer to use wild-caught salmon whenever it’s available. The firecracker salmon sauce is super easy to make, using just three ingredients you may already have in your fridge or pantry – mayonnaise, sriracha, and sweet chili sauce.
If you are looking for a homemade version of sweet chili sauce, I’ve spent years perfecting my homemade recipe. I consider myself quite the sweet chili connoisseur 🙂 and trust me when I say, this will be the most incredible sweet chili sauce you’ve ever had.
How to Make this Cajun Firecracker Salmon:
This tender firecracker salmon uses such an easy sauce that you’ll want to pour over all of your next meals. If you are looking for an easy dinner that you can throw together in less than 30 minutes and won’t require purchasing tons of ingredients – I got you with this Cajun Firecracker Salmon.
To make this easy recipe, it’ll just take three steps:
- Make the sauce – mayo, sriracha and sweet chili sauce. Set it aside in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. I always like to makes my condiments before I cook so it’s one less thing to do when I’m hungry, even a day or two ahead. Prepping as much as you can ahead is truly the key to not getting overwhelming when cooking anything.
- Cajun seasoning – you have two options here. You can make the homemade cajun seasoning from scratch, but if you don’t have all the necessary spices on hand, it’ll be a lot cheaper to just buy a pre-made cajun seasoning.
- Make the rice while cooking salmon – if you’re serving this over rice, get the rice on the stove while you season and cook the salmon. Prep the salmon by tossing in olive oil and seasoning liberally. Place on a lined baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, then broil for another 3-5 minutes. Drizzle over the sauce and garnish with chives and thinly sliced peppers.
My Favorite Products to Make this Firecracker Salmon:
Half-Sheet Pans – these are commercial grade and hold up to all my daily use and abuse! The more I use them, the better they seem to get.
Pyrex Mixing Bowl – a timeless classic. If it worked for my grandma and mom, it works for me!
Natural Parchment Paper- I always prefer the unbleached parchment when it’s available, this is a great one.
Looking for other easy recipes?
Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Scampi
I hope you enjoy this salmon with cream sauce recipe. Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback! If you make these or any other recipes, don’t forget to tag me on IG @BadBatchBaking to be featured on my story. Seeing your re-creations makes my day!
Cajun Salmon with Firecracker Sauce
- 1.5 lbs 2" thick salmon filets, cut into 3" wide pieces
- olive oil
- optional: prepared rice for serving, sliced peppers, diced chives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Sriracha (start with less and build up based on your heat preference)
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce Mae Ploy is the best store brand
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the firecracker sauce by combining the three ingredients until smooth, adding sriracha a few tablespoons at a time to the desired heat level. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use, this can be made a few days ahead of time.
- Combine all seasoning ingreidents in a small bowl and mix well.
- In a large bowl, prepare salmon by adding the chunks into the bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Rub oil on all sides of salmon to coat. Add the seasoning a few spoonfuls at a time, pressing onto all sides, until it's well coated. Don't be stingy with the seasoning.
- Place seasoned salmon chunks in a lined baking dish or pan and spread them an inch apart so they don't steam. Cook for 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Then turn heat to broil, leave oven door cracked open and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the tops of the salmon is crisped (monitor to ensure it doesn't burn).
- Enjoy salmon over rice and drizzle with firecracker sauce, peppers and chives.