Creamy garlic chicken is comfort food at it’s finest! A stick-to-the-ribs meal that the whole family will enjoy.
This rich and creamy mouth-watering sauce contains lots of garlic, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. It starts with perfectly seasoned chicken breasts that are pan-seared and then braised in the cream sauce until perfectly tender.
Similar to my Southern Chicken Fried Chicken and Smothered Chicken and Gravy, this is another boldly flavored meal in my soulful cooking lineup. This creamy garlic chicken is ready in just 30 minutes and all made in one pan.
You can’t ask for a better dinner! We love to serve this over mashed potatoes and a green veggie (like asaparagus or green beans), or buttered egg noodles, or over warm rice.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Tons of garlic, but it’s caramelized to prevent it from being overpowering.
- Another easy 30 minute meal
- Scratch-made without any premade creamy of chicken, etc.
- Everyone will adore this dish! The depth of the caramelized garlic flavor is pronounced but not overpowering, making it great for kids too.
- Comforting, down home flavor that feels remeniscent of dinner at grandmas house.
What You’ll Need
When I say this recipe is easy, I am not exaggerating. You can see by the short list below that this creamy garlic chicken recipe is simple to make and delightfully flavored.
- Chicken – chicken breasts are sliced in half horizontally and then pounded to even thickness to ensure perfectly tender, melt in your mouth chicken.
- Flour – for drudging adds a perfect texture (light crust) on the chicken
- Garlic – an entire head of garlic is used, or about 10-15 large cloves (don’t worry – they aren’t overpowering).
- Seasonings – chicken or beef bouillon, onion powder, sprigs of fresh thyme (or dried thyme), S&P, poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning.
- Chicken stock – the base for the creamy sauce. You could use broth too, I prefer stock for the flavor.
- Parmesan – grated parmesan is used to easily incorporate into the cream sauce. Be sure to hold off salting your sauce until parm is added.
- Heavy cream – the creamy, decadent ingredient that makes this dish extra comforting.
- Olive oil and butter – for sautéing
How to Make Creamy Garlic Chicken
Tools I Love
Here are some of my favorite tools to make this Creamy Garlic Chicken even easier to make.
Looking for More Comfort Food Recipes?
Did you love this recipe for this easy creamy garlic chicken breast recipe? Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback. Don’t forget to tag me on IG with any photos; @BadBatchBaking and use #BadBatchBaking
Easy Creamy Garlic Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup parmesan, grated divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic Cream Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 head garlic 10-15 cloves
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cube chicken or beef bouillon Better Than Bouillon works too
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the Chicken
- Slice the chicken in half horizontally, pound to even 1/4 inch thickness, season well on both sides with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning (or your favorite poultry seasoning).
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a few tablespoons of olive oil. While it's heating, combine flour and 1/4 cup of parmesan into a shallow dish. Drudge each piece of chicken into the flour mixture, pressing it into the chicken to coat on both sides.
- Cook chicken (in batches if needed) about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, only flipping once. Allow chicken to rest on a plate tented with foil while preparing the sauce.
Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Reduce heat to low then add butter into the same pan and allow it to melt, scraping up the brown bits. Add in the garlic cloves and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until they caramelize, flipping to cook evenly.
- Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, whisking to incorporate. Whisk in the seasonings and add thyme sprig. Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a low boil. Once slightly thickened, a few minutes, stir in the parmesan cheese, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Nestle the chicken and it's juices back into the cream sauce. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes to braise the chicken. Discard the thyme sprig and serve, spooning the cream sauce atop the chicken and sides.