Still our family favorite Homemade Macaroni and Cheese and nothing tops it! Stunning buttery-creaminess and layers of gooey cheese, if you love baked macaroni and cheese with a crusty topping and crispy edges – look no further than this decadent and wildly popular recipe.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Perfect for a holiday side dish, this homemade mac and cheese is outrageously cheesy and warms the soul with every bite. The first time I brought this to a gathering I was hounded for the recipe.
Unlike creamy and saucy macaroni and cheese dishes (or what I call “Velveeta style”), Southern-style mac doesn’t use a cheese sauce. Instead, it uses a decadent cream sauce and add the cheese separately in layers between the noodles.
This is THE Macaroni Cheese recipe that’s wildly popular every Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Key Ingredients in Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
This homemade macaroni and cheese only requires a handful of ingredients and it’s so easy to put together! Be sure to review the recipe card further down the page for the detailed recipe with measurements.
Butter – needed for the noodles and greasing the baking dish.
Elbow Macaroni – or feel free to use the noodles of your preference. Just be sure to cook them to al dente as they will be baked too.
Evaporated Milk – two cans of evaporated milk is a lighter version of heavy cream while still imparting decadence.
Eggs – we’ll use just two eggs for binding this baked mac and cheese casserole.
Seasonings – garlic salt, seasoning salt, and paprika
Cheese – Three 8 oz blocks of cheese from sharp cheddar to pepper jack.
How to Make Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
In this southern-style baked homemade mac and cheese, we’ll make an easy cream sauce and pour it over layers of noodles and shredded cheese.
Step 1: Generously butter a casserole dish and preheat the oven. Cook the noodles to al dente in salted water, then strain and toss with the butter.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, eggs and seasonings until smooth.
Step 3: In layers add 1/3 of the cooked macaroni and then 1/3 of the shredded cheeses. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese.
Then pour over the evaporated milk mixture. Sprinkle the top with paprika and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is browned and bubbly.
Tools I Love
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe for Homemade Macaroni and Cheese. Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback!
If you make these or any other recipes, don’t forget to tag me on IG @BadBatchBaking to be featured on my story. Seeing your recreations makes my day!
Southern Baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter plus 4 Tbsp more for baking dish
- 3/4 lb. dry elbow macaroni
- 2 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 8 oz packages extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 8 oz package monterey or pepper jack cheese, grated
- paprika for sprinkling
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Generously butter a 13x9" glass baking dish; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until al dente according to package directions.
- Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Sprinkle the casserole with paprika. Bake until top layer is golden browned, about 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.