This post is all about how to make homemade chicken pot pie with biscuits. But not just any biscuits, from-scratch Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits! These biscuits are so soft and tender, buttery, full of cheesy goodness with a kick of sweet heat and they are baked right on top of the creamy perfectly seasoned pot pie filling. You will adore this cozy warm comfy meal.
Few things compare to cozy homeyness of a warm chicken pot pie and although I love a classic flaky pie crust, chicken pot pie with biscuits is my new favorite way to make this dish, especially if you’re making this dish for your family.
Not only do the biscuits provide the perfect carby goodness to filling ratio, but it’s super convenient to scoop and serve.
These biscuits are melt-in-your-mouth tender, made with buttermilk, melted butter, sharp cheddar cheese, plus a little sugar and cayenne. If you adore the addictive biscuits from Red Lobster, you will absolutely fall in love with this homemade version.
Have you ever had a bland pot pie filling or one that is goopy with too much flour? That’s one of my biggest turn offs in some recipes. This pot pie is lusciously creamy, with the perfect amount of seasoning for a strong herby-chicken flavor. This is guaranteed to be a new family favorite!
This post is all about how to make Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits on top, inspired by Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits!
What are Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Arguably one of the most iconic items on the menu at Red Lobster, the Cheddar Bay Biscuits are buttery tender, soft, and cheesy. These biscuits are so popular, you can buy the biscuit mix at the grocery store or grab them on amazon here.
But they are super easy to make from scratch and they don’t even need to do any kneading or rolling out of the dough. You just drop them into the pot pie filling and bake for 15 minutes!
Can you use other biscuits or store-bought biscuits?
Absolutely! Not only could you use the store-bought mix of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix, you can also use your favorite business recipe, or use pre-made biscuits like Pillsbury Grands biscuits.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy recipe:
Veggies: celery, onion, carrots, peas, garlic, and optionally potatoes
Dry Seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, sage, chicken bullion, and flour
Chicken – I used chicken tenders
Liquids – chicken stock, half & half, soy sauce
Biscuits – flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, buttermilk, butter (or, store-bought biscuits)
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
1) Start with cooking the chicken in a pot of chicken stock, bring to a boil, and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove chicken, tent with foil and set aside. Reserve the chicken stock.
2) Prep all the veggies, dicing the carrots, onion, celery and mincing the garlic.
3) Use a 12″ cast iron skillet (or use a large saute pan and later transfer to an oven safe casserole dish). Add the butter and saute all the veggies except the garlic and peas. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4) Add the garlic, dry seasonings, salt and pepper. Then add the flour, mix well and cook for a few minutes. Then slowly drizzle in the chicken stock, whisking until smooth, followed by the half and half and the soy sauce.
5) Put the biscuit mix together by whisking the dry ingredients, in a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter and cold buttermilk until small lumps form. Then pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. Toss together until just barely mixed, being careful not to overmix the batter.
6) Use a 1/4 cup scoop (like an ice cream/cookie scoop), lightly oil, and scoop out portions of the biscuit dough, form into even 1/2 inch patties and place on top of the pot pie filling, leaving about 4″ of space in between in between each biscuit. Cook in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven, and spread the tops of the biscuits with a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder, and minced parsley. Bake for an additional 3 minutes then serve warm and bubbly from the oven.
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits. I look forward to your questions and feedback below. Please be sure to tag me @BadBatchBaking using hashtag #badbatchbaking if you made this recipe and I will feature you on my story! Plus, I LOVE to see your baking accomplishments.
Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1.5 lbs chicken tenders or breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ large onion, diced
- ¾ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 4 small potatoes, yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled and diced optional
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon each: onion powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup half & half
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- pepper as needed don't add salt as the soy sauce will replace it
Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese,
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled for a few minutes
Garlic Butter Biscuit Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Prep Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter and cold buttermilk until small lumps form. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. Toss together until just barely mixed, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop (like an ice cream/cookie scoop), lightly oil, and scoop out portions of the biscuit dough, form into even 1/2 inch patties. Cover with plastic wrap while preparing the pot pie filling.
Pot Pie Filling
- Start by adding the chicken to a pot of the chicken stock, bring to a low boil, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove cooked chicken, tent with foil and set aside, then shred. Reserve the chicken stock.
- Prep all the veggies by dicing them and mincing the garlic.
- Use a 12″ cast iron skillet (or use a large saute pan and later transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish). Over medium heat, add the butter and saute all the veggies except the garlic and peas. Cook until softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, dry seasonings (including bouillon), and pepper. Then add the flour, mix well and cook for a few minutes. Then slowly drizzle in the chicken stock - 3 cups in total - whisking until smooth. Then add the half and half and the soy sauce. Turn off the heat and add in the chicken and the peas stirring to combine. Keep warm.
Bake Pot Pie
- Place the round biscuit dough on top of the pot pie filling, leaving about 4″ of space in between each biscuit.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spread the tops of the biscuits with a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder, and minced parsley. Bake for an additional 3 minutes then serve warm and bubbly from the oven.