There is a big cult following for the REAL Chicken Littles from KFC. As you may know, KFC brought back this throwback sandwich a few years ago. But these are nothing more than a Chicken Snacker using a classic name. There is actually a Facebook petition page you can find here. The Chicken Little is supposed to be on a super soft roll, rather than a seeded slider bun. It was also a chicken patty, reminiscent of a school cafeteria lunch. And it had a good dollop of mayo, no lettuce. Big differences. This imposter sandwich has been outcasted by the true lovers of the Chicken Little and we are all asking the question, why can’t they just bring back the original??
Well, in the meantime, I have tried to replicate this sandwich at home to try and satisfy my cravings for this old school love. No, it’s not exactly like the classic, and I did add pickles, because I do love the combination it gives the sandwich, but trust me, this is a ton better than the new wannabe
“chicken little” chicken snacker!
There are a few keys to making this sandwich similar to the original…
- Use the softest/pillowy-est dinner rolls you can find in the bakery section of your super market
- Slightly toast the bun on the stove first.
- Don’t skimp on the mayo, it needs a good lather
- Flash fry the chicken, then bake it. It needs more of a soft crunch rather than an extra crispy coating like the snacker has.
- Pickles = optional. They aren’t in the original but I do love adding them.
If you want to make this sandwich even more similar to the classic, you can buy chicken patties in the frozen section of your super market. Of course you will lose a little on the quality, but it will give you more of that true chicken patty feel.
Do you remember this sandwich? Try this and tell me in the comments how this version measures up to your memory!