This post is all about how to make my BBQ chicken sliders. Tender shredded BBQ chicken crisped under a broiler and tucked into toasty slider buns, topped with tangy Alabama white coleslaw, red onions, and crunchy barbecue potato chips. These sliders are exploding with incredible textures and flavors that will get you in the mood for a summer cookout. Great for serving at parties, game day gatherings, or just to enjoy on a weeknight with the fam.
Chicken sandwiches are universally loved and such a trusted go-to meal for my family. There are endless flavor ideas and cooking methods from fried chicken sandwiches, grilled or blackened chicken, chicken salad, or in this case shredded chicken.
Full of all the warm weather vibes, these tender shredded BBQ chicken is crisped under a broiler and tucked into tiny toasted handheld slider buns. Then it’s topped with tangy Alabama white coleslaw, red onions, and crunchy barbecue potato chips. These sliders are exploding with incredible textures and flavors that will get you in the mood for a summer cookout. These little sandwiches are great for serving at parties, game day gatherings, or just to enjoy on a weeknight with the fam.
These little sliders are out of this WORLD! When a recipe starts with an Instant Pot and ends with a full, happy tummy in less than an hour, I am one happy girl.
This post is all about how to make these tender shredded crunchy BBQ chicken sliders that will blow your mind!
What are crunchy BBQ Chicken Sliders?
The simple answer is, this right here is a sandwich so good it’ll make you dance. If you know my cooking style then you know I don’t cook modest food. I am all about well seasoned food that is exploding with flavor, creative pairings, and over-the-top combinations like adding potato chips onto these crunchy shredded bbq chicken sliders.
If you love the taste of sunshine and the nostalgia of adding chips to a sandwich (I assume most people just did this as kids and I’m the only one actively adding chips to all sandwiches as a 30-something girl LOL) you will absolutely adore these.
How to make BBQ Chicken Sliders:
With just a few easy steps you can have these delicious barbecue chicken sliders on your table in no time.
- MAKE BBQ CHICKEN: Start by combining chicken ingredients in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Cook for 3-4 hours on high in a slow cooker or 15 minutes on pressure cook in an Instant Pot until the chicken can be shredded with a fork
- CRISP CHICKEN IN BROILER: Spread the shredded chicken onto a foil lined baking sheet. Pour over some bbq sauce mixture to ensure chicken doesn’t dry out. Broil for about 5 mins until chicken gets crispy edges.
- TOAST BUNS: Slice the sliders horizontally and toast the undersides in the broiler until golden. Spread the tops with melted butter and sesame seeds then toast top side for 1 min.
- MAKE COLESLAW: Make the Alabama white sauce (you can always make this ahead of time for ease). Pour most of the white sauce over ~2 cups of coleslaw mix until it’s well coated, reserving a 1/3 cup for drizzling over sliders.
- ASSEMBLE: Spread coleslaw over bottom buns, top it w/ chicken, drizzle remaining sauce, thinly sliced red onions, and chips – barbecue, regular, sour cream & onion all work. Slice into sliders and enjoy!
Can You Make These In a Slow Cooker Instead?
YES! I included the recipe down below in the printable recipe card. It’s very similar to the Instant Pot method, but instead of the saute function and the 15 minute pressure cook, you’ll combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and allow it to cook for ~4 hours on high.
Can You Use Barbecued Chicken Instead?
Absolutely! I made a recipe that easily skips the grill so it can be enjoyed 365 days a year. If you want to grill up the chicken, you can use your favorite barbecue sauce, marinade the chicken breasts or thighs overnight, then grill it until cooked through, basting with fresh sauce as it cooks.
What Chips to Use:
Grippo’s BBQ chips are my preference for these sliders but regular barbecue chips will do. You can also use regular potato chips like original Ruffle’s or Lay’s, or Sour Cream & Onion. I haven’t tried these with Doritos but something tells me it would work perfectly. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong here!
These Grippo’s chips are based out of Cincinnati but I found them at my favorite deli in Nashville. One bite and I was hooked for life. These chips taste like they were tossed in powdered sugar. They are so tender, smokey, spicy, sweet and literally just melt in your mouth. You’ve never had anything like this before.
Cooking Tools I love to make these BBQ Chicken Sliders:
Veggie Chopper/Slicer – this multifunctional tool makes prep time such a breeze!
Baking Sheets – I use these for toasting up my shredded chicken and toasting the slider buns
Instant Pot – I grab my Instant Pot at least once per week whether it’s for tacos, sandwiches, pot roast, etc. It makes fantastic meals when you didn’t have time to plan ahead and slow cook your proteins.
Metal Tongs – these are my unsung heroes for daily kitchen tasks. They get tons of daily use and have held up now for several years.
Looking for other popular recipes?
Cajun Salmon Bites with Firecracker Sauce
Brisket Tacos with Street Corn and Jalapeno Lime Ranch
Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Scampi
I hope you enjoy this crunchy BBQ chicken slider recipe. Be sure to comment below with any questions or feedback! If you make these or any other recipes, don’t forget to tag me on IG @BadBatchBaking to be featured on my story. Seeing your re-creations makes my day!
Crunchy BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 1 pack King's Hawaiian rolls (12 pack)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- optional toppings- crisp bacon, cheddar or colby cheese
Shredded BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 lbs. chicken breast tenders or thighs work too
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup grated onion plus juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Alabama White BBQ
- 1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp creamy horseradish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder & onion powder
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
Make The Chicken
- Start by combining chicken ingredients in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Cook for 3-4 hours on high in a slow cooker or 15 minutes on pressure cook in an Instant Pot until the chicken can be easily shredded with a fork.
- Spread the shredded chicken onto a foil lined baking sheet. Pour over some of the bbq sauce mixture to ensure chicken doesn't dry out while broiling. Broil for about 5 mins until chicken gets slightly blackened crispy edges.
- Slice the sliders horizontally and toast the undersides in the broiler until golden. Spread the tops with melted butter and sesame seeds then toast top side for 1 min.
- Pour most of the white sauce over ~2 cups of coleslaw mix until it's well coated, reserving a 1/3 cup for drizzling over sliders.
- Spread coleslaw over bottom buns, top it w/ chicken, drizzle remaining sauce, thinly sliced red onions, and chips - barbecue, regular, sour cream & onion all work. Slice into sliders and enjoy!