Today marks week six of eating exclusively at home. That’s 126 meals! As you can imagine, I am constantly trying to come up with ways to make healthy quick and easy meals because there are many days I am too busy to cook or just too busy to care lol. I rely a lot on salad mixes and grilling. I find that grilling = less dishes and you can cook your veggies and protein in one fell swoop. This 15-minute Zoodle Chicken Lo Mein was my answer last night!
My quest to eat at home really came down to wanting to eating healthy overall. I am not on a diet per say, but I am focused on consuming whole foods that are just good for me. I have more control over “good” food when I am putting them together at home. Even though a grilled chicken salad from Chik-fil-a is relatively healthy and convenient on my way home, I have zero comfort in how many hormones and steroids are in their chicken.
Eating at home doesn’t always have to equate to cooking. There are a lot of items you can get at the grocery store to make semi-homemade meals. Although, there are a few convenient items I am staying away from too.
CONVENIENT MEALS TO AVOID
- Deli meats (nitrates, preservatives and lots of sodium). Boars Head Simplicity line is pretty legit though for days when I’m craving a turkey sandwich
- Rotisserie chicken. Unless it’s the organic type without preservatives like carageenan. Stay away from Costco rotisserie chicken. Not only has the texture gotten “weird” over the past few years, it has carageenan.
- Packaged snacks that are nothing more than empty calories and leave me hungry.
- Pre-made salad kits (Taylor Farms are my fav.)
- Bird’s Eye vegetable pastas – surprising, I know! (every grocery store frozen aisle)
- Bell & Evans coconut breaded chicken tenders (frozen – Whole Food)
- Blake’s Chicken Pot Pie (every grocery store frozen aisle)
It’s hard to believe that this entree is nothing more than a big plate of fresh vegetables, stir fried for just a few quick minutes. I like to shorten the cooking time as to keep the veggies still Al dente. I don’t like to cook all the nutrients out of them.
The zucchini noodles cook very quick and will continue to soften after its’ removed from the heat, so be sure to pull them a tad early, even if they look a little hard still. Trust!
Looking for a healthy, low carb dessert to add a sweet finish this meal? Check out my Keto-Friendly High Protein Chocolate Mug Cake here.
I hope you enjoy this Zoodle Chicken Lo Mein recipe as much as I did. Be sure to leave your questions/comments below and be sure to tag me on IG if you make this recipe using @badbatchbaking and #badbatchbaking.